The demand for high-quality and stylish vintage clothing has grown immensely over the past few years and doesn’t show any sign of stopping soon. Almost everyone is choosing vintage, from the girl on the street to popular celebrities. Even high-end clothing stores are now following suit with their vintage inspired clothes. If you’re bored with your current clothing, vintage is the way to go. However, it’s worth noting that dressing vintage has some rules. You can’t just choose a piece from the ’70s and wear it. In this article, we’ll be looking at the dos and don’ts of wearing vintage.
The Dos of Wearing Vintage
1. Make changes that you think will improve vintage clothing’s look. For instance, you can change the buttons.
2. Buy a piece that fits you perfectly. A size that is too small or too big can detract the beauty of vintage.
3. When it comes to makeup and hairstyles, go modern. Adorning vintage hairstyles and makeup can make you look like a clown in this modern era.
4. Wear accessories to complete your look. Vintage clothing goes well if you can match with beautiful accessories. Bracelets, necklaces, dangling earrings, pearls, and sunglasses are some of the items you can choose.
5. Visit a tailor to see if they can suggest stylish updates to a certain piece. You’ll be surprised at some additions that can make your vintage dress elegant.
6. Know your era. Read all you can about vintage to help you know the distinct style characteristics of particular eras.
7. Know your body type.
This will help you choose and wear clothes that best complement your body’s best features.
The Don’ts of Wearing Vintage
1. Don’t wear entirely vintage clothing; mix with a few modern pieces.
2. Don’t wear a poor-quality vintage piece with stains and tears. While you may want to wear vintage, don’t wear clothing that looks old and worn out.
3. Don’t wear pieces that are too dated.
4. Don’t take vintage fashion too far. For instance, skater shoes, hipster shades, and snarky t-shirts may not bring out the best look. Look for items that suit you best.
5. Don’t wear a vintage dress while going to work. While there are some clothes which can make you look good, some can make you very unprofessional in a business meeting.
6. Don’t be hasty when choosing vintage clothing. Always check to ensure it’s high-quality and genuine.
Vintage clothing has made a major comeback and it’s all for a good reason. It’s unique and can make you stand out. However, follow the above dos and don’ts to ensure that you bring out your best look.